Reading Class Information
Grades 6, 7 & 8
Welcome to Reading class! The Reading program is designed to strengthen studentsí overall reading and writing skills, promote a love of literature, and support the reading and writing process taught in the Language Arts classroom. In addition, the goal of the Reading program is to help students gain confidence and independence in reading across the curriculum.
Students are asked to complete ten (or more) minutes of independent reading on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evenings, and a total of twenty minutes over the weekend. Independent reading books can be shared with those read in LA classrooms. Every two weeks students will be recording the number of pages read during an independent reading check. The first independent reading check will be scheduled once the Blanchard Middle School library is up and running.
Topics being covered during month of September and the beginning of October…
- Before, during & after reading strategies
- Active Reading Strategies
- Monitoring for meaning
- Word attack strategies
- Story elements vocabulary
- Introduction to the short story
- Use of the John Collins Writing Program
- Responding to literature
Everyday students are expected to bring the following items to Reading class.
- Space in a three ring binder dedicated to our Reading class.
- Agenda- ALL daily assignments written down.
- Homework- completed to the best of your ability.
- Independent reading book
- (Red correcting pen)
- POSITIVE ATTITUDE!